Draft Safe Routes to School Report Now Available!
A draft of the Safe Routes to School Report is now available for public review!
You are invited to attend a community meeting to review the Draft Recommendations from the City of Davis Safe Routes to School Walk & Bike Audit Project:
Wednesday, December 11th
Davis Senior Center
646 A Street
Meetings will also be held in January for each school community to review and provide comments on the plans for their specific school. Stay tuned for more information about the date, time, and location of these meetings.
Welcome to the Walk & Bike Audit Project
In the Spring of 2013, we reviewed school-related transportation issues. This project is an important opportunity to identify ways to improve walking and biking access to schools for students and their families. Results of these audits will be used as part of the City’s long-term transportation planning strategies to implement positive changes in neighborhoods adjacent to schools. The goal is to provide safe and fun routes to schools that promote walking and biking as primary modes of transportation.
The City of Davis has identified this as a goal for a number of reasons:
- Reducing the number of cars on the road in the morning commute to school makes transportation for children safer and improves air quality.
- Walking or riding a bike or scooter to school is good exercise, improves fitness, and has been demonstrated to positively impact school performance.
- Walking or biking to school promotes community, and enables students to become more familiar with navigation and their school neighborhood.
- Students who are responsible for getting themselves to school have lower rates of tardiness, and develop a sense of independence and confidence.
- The use of fossil fuels is one of the leading contributors to global warming, and an increased use of active forms of transportation helps our planet.
- Birch Lane Elementary
- North Davis Elementary
- Patwin Elementary
- Pioneer Elementary
- Willett Elementary
- Marguerite Montgomery Elementary
- Korematsu Elementary
- Cesar Chavez Elementary
- Harper Junior High
- Holmes Junior High
- Emerson Junior High/da Vinci Junior High